Thursday, January 27, 2011

Beautiful Places

"I love to surround myself with beautiful things because it delights my eye and uplifts my soul." -- Maya Angelou

I heard her say this line in an interview, and it expresses exactly what I feel and why I love my home, now homes, plural, and why I love to remodel and decorate. Maybe at one time it was to impress others, but long ago that changed and I wanted a beautiful home for myself only. Now, I would extend that sentiment to beautiful places.

One of the most beautiful places on Earth, surely, has to be the Grand Tetons. I have seen them in person in May, still snowy. But I have seen the in photographs in other seasons, and the loveliness is still there. This has to be the place that is meant in the line "purple mountains majesty." Pictures I have from our trip there still inspire the awe I felt seeing them. Any one of the photos I took would make a gorgeous postcard.

But there is beauty in our little place here in Texas, too. More subtle, but still there in the mass of birds that winter here. We almost can't keep enough seed in the feeders at this time of year. Also, in the deer that venture into the yard nightly and leave their tracks all over the driveway and in the yard. We have beautiful old live oaks that shade the house and most of this three acres -- they make the view from the road seem like an oasis.

It has been cold here, for Texas, since we've been home. My SO is the one now complaining. He says the humid cold, even though the temperatures aren't as low, chills him to the bone. I don't seem as affected for some reason. To me, there's a great difference between 35 degrees and 5, which were some of the temperatures we experienced in New Mexico. I do notice how loud it is here, even though we live outside any city. When I go for the paper in the morning, it's the noise from the highway, from the trains going by, the airplanes overhead that assault me, after the absolute quiet of the mountains. I do miss that quiet.

But I love our home here. It's comfortable and the things I have collected over the years please me. I have slept like a baby each night since we've been home. It would be hard to leave this place forever. Our animals are happiest here.

There's lettuce growing in the greenhouse. I would plant more vegetables but I'm in flux about where we will be during their season. This back and forth will take some getting used to, but I'm happy now to be home.

Onward ....

No comments:

Post a Comment