Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Back at the Cabin

Left Denver yesterday morning about 9:15. Took six long hours to finally get back to the cabin. It was snowing up on Elk Mountain, but in the Valley it was 51 degrees. However once the sun goes behind the mountains, it chills down pretty quickly. I kept a fire going until bedtime.

This morning I put together the shelving unit I bought in Denver. I have the office just about done now, and I really feel that I could write here. Unfortunately, we're leaving in a few days so there won't be time to get anything sustained going, but it's good to feel the urge anyway. I might want to come up here by myself some time soon and just SEE if any writing might happen.

Meanwhile, on the Kindle front -- got the proofs from the people doing the conversion. They scan the book, then turn it into a WORD file. From there they format to Kindle, and the other e-readers. Anyway, I really didn't like it that the final WORD doc has a space between each and every paragraph in the book. I was under the impression that the Kindle version would look just like the hardcover pages, and that spacing bothered me. Primarily, as I tried to explain to the man I've been dealing with, because there are quite a few intentional spaces for time transitions within the text and they don't stand out a bit with all this spacing that has been put in with this conversion. I've requested that they take out all the paragraph spacing and he said that they would, although he didn't sound happy about having to do it. I guess I'm just too picky, don't know. But I figure if I'm paying for it, I want it done right.

Speaking of Kindle, I finished reading the first book I downloaded onto mine - A VISIT FROM THE GOON SQUAD by Jennifer Eagan. I had read a review of the book in TIME and it sounded intriguing. The novel was written in a weird, non-linear way that I really liked, almost like a jumble of characters thrown into stand-alone short stories, but that all had connecting threads. These kind of innovative books always make me want to write again. I think it's the endless possibilities, the opportunity to try something new, that always tugs at me.

Last night, since I was here alone, I rewatched "Sixth Sense," that old movie with Bruce Willis and Tony Collette. I had seen it before -- who hadn't? -- but since my SO likes it so much, I thought I should give it a second chance. I did like it more this time than I did the first time. But I still didn't think it was worthy of an Oscar nomination for Best Picture. Pluuueeese! Must've been an off year.

The cat was very happy to see me. The dog wasn't as happy to see the cat. They had a little altercation, with the cat dominating, of course. I seem to spend all my time when I'm alone with the two of them, trying to make each of them feel they're special. They are, of course, but they're just so damned jealous.

Onward ....

No comments:

Post a Comment