Thursday, January 20, 2011

Snow Morning

Woke up this morning just before dawn. Weather forecast had been predicting snow and 19 degrees, but it had been a beautiful, clear, full-moon night when we went to bed. Still, I when I got up, I peeked out the curtains, still dark, but I thought I could see snow. As soon as there was the least bit of light, I looked again. Everything was covered in a blanket of white. When my SO got up, he was as surprised as I was by it. We figure it was about four inches making a total of 16 inches this winter so far.

We spent the morning throwing out the food we knew wouldn't last until we are back. Put a couple of things in the freezer. I got my clothes sorted out. My SO stoked up the fire. It was hard to make ourselves bundle up and go out to shovel the driveway, but we needed to hook up the utility trailer we brought with us full of things for the cabin. We're taking it back to Texas to fill up again.

Learned a big lesson -- after my SO drove the truck and trailer around -- and that is to shovel first before you pack down the snow in your tire tracks. We didn't do that, and when my SO got ready to back the trailer into place, the truck was skidding and sliding so much, it became a huge job, even after we had shoveled the snow away. We resorted to a bucket of kitty litter to melt the ice left in the tire tracks. Worked. SO was able to get the trailer backed near the door, so we can load easier. We had a snowball fight, then played with the dog in the snow-filled pasture, which is the name my SO has given the rest of the property. The dog gets so frisky out there in the white stuff. It's powdery and dry, looks like diamonds or cake dust with the sun coming down through the trees. The silly dog thought there was a critter in the wall when she heard the snow melting off the roof and dripping in the downspout. She barked and jumped around, cocked her head. Exuberant.

We discussed it last night and have about decided to come back in March for a couple of weeks. Neither of us is really excited about leaving, but we know we have obligations. My SO's post office didn't forward last week's mail up here, and he feels like he needs to get back for that and other things. Funny, when we left Texas, we thought it would be my mail that wouldn't make it because my post office is so skitzy. But my mail has come as regular as clockwork.

So, we will go over to the Lodge tonight to eat. It's pizza night. They have these wonderful gourmet pizzas they make. One of our neighbors has said she would be there, and we will probably share a table. Then tomorrow early, we will finish loading the trailer, and head out homeward bound. Dread the 15 hours and 2 days on the road. But since we don't own an airplane ... well anyway.

Onward ....

No comments:

Post a Comment