Monday, February 22, 2010

What a Week!

I think this is the longest I've gone between posts here. This has been the week from hell. The cat has been deathly sick. He relapsed on Monday, going downhill fast. By Friday I really thought I was going to lose him. He went three days without eating, and has lost five pounds. This morning he began to eat a little again, and has been more like his old self, although he is still weak and still sick. Poor baby. He is very needy, but also wary of me because to him I'm sure I seem to be constantly medicating him, or doing something to him that he doesn't like -- for instance, shoving him into his carrier, which means yet another trip to the vet. This has been stressful for me, too, and I've been sort of short tempered and irritable. Upsets me to not be able to figure out the right thing to do for my animals.

This morning my SO left on another of his extended sales trips. At one time I had considered going with him on this one, but with the sick cat I would've had to cancel anyway. But I miss him already, miss his calming sensibility. Just got off the phone from him. He's heading right into a winter snow storm and doesn't know if he'll be able to leave his motel tomorrow morning. He's used to driving in snow, but I hope he'll be careful.

The other thing that's happened is we bought a travel trailer Saturday. We have been looking for about a year, had even considered a motorhome, but a travel trailer makes more sense. This one was an extreme sale -- brand new, but a 2009 and the dealer was anxious to get it off the lot. I feel like we stole it. We were planning to wait until we sold some of the SO's STUFF, the old motorhome he's had parked in a storage building, the "spare" Suburban, the weekend place he bought to use as a guest house at the coast, except that no guests to speak of ever came. We were going to sell all of this stuff and use the money to buy us something new, or almost new. The deal on Saturday reared its head, and we bit. Wrote a check. We've got all the STUFF for sale, so we'll pay back the savings account when they sell. We pick up the new trailer in 10 days, after the dealer's had the chance to make the alterations we requested. I'm excited. We're going to take it up into the Hill Country the second week in March.

Meanwhile, the Olympics started. I love the Winter Olympics and have had a hard time turning off the television, something that's not usually a problem for me. I have been planning to get some new writing done on some old projects while my SO is gone, but medicating the cat is taking a good bit of my attention. I did run the tracking number on the manuscript I sent out and the publisher has received it. Just have to ignore it or I will start to obsess.

Late this afternoon, I ran down to early vote. Feels nice to just be a regular voter after all those years of being an election judge and a precinct chair. The training does come in handy when it comes to operating the silly electronic machine they have in this county. But I had done my research, knew where all the candidates stood. Most were running unopposed, this being the primary election. The other side is the one making all the noise but I do hope my choice for governor makes a good showing. This state would be so much better off with him at the helm, but I'm pretty certain it will be one of the loudmouths.

I feel so disconnected from my writing. I plan to do better posting to this blog this week. It at least makes me THINK about writing.

Oh -- The greenhouse is full of germinating seeds. Have four trays of tiny tomato plants, and one of squash. The peppers and the other squash have not broken the soil yet. It's been fun to watch the birth of all these little plants. I hope I can pull off a real garden this year.

Onward ....

1 comment:

  1. Cindy, please email me. I have directions on giving a cat a pill for you--it involves a lot of scotch, etc.

    ReplyDelete