Friday, February 5, 2010

Poor Sick Kitty

I post too much about my cat. I worry too much about my cat. I think maybe I love my cat too much. He's very sick. Was sick when we returned from our trip to Denver, although it took me a while to realize that. He's so good at hiding it. But the first thing I noticed when I picked him up was that he felt lighter, noticeably so. My SO pooh-poohed that idea, thought I was just over-reacting. But after a couple of days, I noticed he was really off his food. He kind of had been for a while, just sort of playing with it more than eating.

I went and bought some different food. Sometimes a change will get his appetite back. He gets bored with his kibble. But the new food wasn't helping. One morning when we got up, he had pooped in the living room floor -- weird behavior. Then he started yowling a lot -- more weird behavior, but not unheard of with this particular cat. Then I noticed him drinking an awful lot of water. I called the vet on Monday and made an appointment. His usual doctor wouldn't be in until Thursday. By then, the cat had taken to hiding in the corner of the office to take his naps, a sure sign that he was ill.

Yesterday the vet told me my kitty has infected teeth. He took some blood, told me to come back in the morning for emergency extractions. I took my baby off his food last night when I went to bed. He was complaining this morning, didn't get his treats, and his bowls were all missing. I had trouble getting him back in the carrier.

We got to the vet's office, and rather than dropping the kitty off the way I have done in the past, they put me in an exam room, too. The doctor came in and told me the blood work looked very bad, and that he was postponing surgery for three weeks. He showed me all the numbers, platelets were low, hemoglobin low, and hemostat also low. He gave my cat three shots, and a pill, some liquid B-12 vitamins, clipped his nails after Trouser laid the doctor's hand open. I was sent home with the pills and the liquid. I've given liquid before, the pills are going to be a challenge. This cat doesn't medicate easily.

Back in the car, I threw the blanket I took a;long with us over the carrier so he wouldn't yowl all the way home. He whined a little, but seemed to be calming down, until we were almost home, and then the yowls got panicky and I knew something was up. I lifted the blanket in time to see him vomiting. We live 25 miles from the vet, so I'm hoping this was just a case of car sickness. Plus, he had the pill and liquid medicine on top of an empty stomach.

I called ahead to warn the SO that we were nearly home and to put the dog in the bedroom. Last thing I needed was her pushing her snooping nose up to the carrier like she did yesterday and upsetting the kitty even more. SO did that, helped me up the stairs where I set down the carrier and opened the door. Trouser was yowling again but he exited quickly. A few minutes later he vomited again. He is up there now quiet, and seems to want to be left alone. I have to go to PT this morning anyway, and the SO is running erands. Maybe my kitty will be a little better when I get back.

Sigh!

Onward ....

No comments:

Post a Comment