Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Spread Too Thin


Practically the first thing this morning, I netted a dead fish out of one of the aquariums. A golden platy that I've had for a while. Seems like 2010 is not shaping up to be as good of a year as the last two have been.

There was white frost on everything, almost like snow. There were a few flurries yesterday, which I noticed on the drive home from the animal hospital. Had to take the kitty in, an emergency this time. His regular doctor wasn't there, but I really liked the one I saw. She seemed especially thorough. Put the cat on an IV drip for the afternoon, took X-rays and a more exhaustive blood workup. Part of the results will be in today, the rest Saturday, and he's scheduled for a sonogram of his intestinal tract next week. He's been a very sick boy, but seems to feel better this morning. I was reduced to forcefeeding him with a syringe of high-value pate last night. This morning he's eating on his own, seems to have an appetite, almost like he's decided that he'd better eat or he'll have to endure that hated syringe down his throat again. Wasn't a fun experience for either of us.

The cattleguard was icy, and I sort of tiptoed over it going after the newspaper, which was also icy. Dog ran through the knee-high field of rye grass. Tracks from our Sunday joyride in old Henry were still visible. I would mow but my sweetheart hasn't shown me how to start the tractor yet, and since it's older than I am, I'm certain I'll need some instruction. He can make any old piece of junk machinery run. It's amazing -- but he can't hang a towel rod straight in a bathroom. We each have our jobs, our calling. I'm actually better with an instruction booklet and a screwdriver than he is, as I learned building the greenhouse, but forget me when it comes to anything with a motor.

The damned free heater that came with the greenhouse stopped working last night. It was 33 in there when I checked, but hopefully that's high enough to have kept away damage to my new seedlings. I'll have to set something else up in there today because the forecast is for another cold night. The birds don't seem to have noticed it's still winter. I saw a pair of cardinals fighting a few minutes ago. They're brilliantly red and ready for breeding. Already. Not even March. We've had a plethora of birds here this winter. Chipping sparrows primarily. They rose in a great flock from the rye as I walked down the driveway.

On the way back, the dog ran the herd of Axis deer across the fence. She can't get at them but I suppose they don't realize that, and they take off at full gallop when they see her. The males are fully antlered and seem to be in rut again. They followed, noses low and forward, after the females. I had already seen two new fawns the other day, frolicking just before sunset. But there was a brand new one this morning, hardly as big as the cat. So cute. They're furrier and chubbier than whitetail fawns. They have rounder cheeks. Much more spotted as well. You want to jump over there, grab one up and give it a hug.

Today is the last of physical therapy on my foot. I believe it's helped me but I'm still deviled by heel pain and the ping of that nerve behind my ankle twinging at some point during each day. I suppose it's another one of those things I'll learn to live with and manage. I've been massaging my foot each night before bed with Sports Cream and sleeping with a fuzzy bootie on it, at least I start out that way. I never know if the bootie will still be on my foot when I awake, or lost somewhere beneath the covers. The dog has been sleeping with me with the SO out of town. I hope she doesn't get it in her head that she can continue with this new habit. I'm sleeping on his side of the bed and she's on mine, which means I'll be out of a spot once he's back, so as soon as he's back, the gig's up. But she's such good company, always in a happy mood, always ready for whatever comes next. She has a great heart.

Something tells me that this is not going to be a writing week. Seems my life is reduced to tending to animals. Suppose I failed the gold platy on that score. I've decided that there are two kinds of people -- those that live for themselves and those that are the caretakers. I try to be both kinds, and it probably isn't possible to be successful at either when you spread yourself too thin, as my SO is constantly telling me I do. But I'm also a control freak so it's hard to give up on anything, or even to delegate duties to him when he's here. These are two areas I really need to work on with more diligence. I thought I was doing better but it's so easy to slide back into old habits.

Onward ....

No comments:

Post a Comment