Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving

Just finished Thanksgiving with the parents -- my dad and my SO's mom. His mom is a lady's lady, church-going, prim and proper. So what does Daddy do first thing? Came in telling a "dick" joke, so inappropriate, so embarrassing. It was met with absolute silence, except for an awkward chuckle from my SO. Daddy is having a hard time understanding the new dynamics, obviously. I suppose he thought it would endear him, make everybody think what a funny old eccentric man he is. I just thought it was kind of sad, because I know that he admires my SO's mom, but if he thought this was the way to impress her, he was dead wrong. Then at the end of the meal, we were sitting over table having a discussion about the world, etc., and Daddy starts in on his theory of religion, most of which I happen to agree with, but know better than to speak of in "mixed" company. Abruptly, my SO's mom decided it was time to get the hell out of here, and she did, quickly, calling an old friend she wanted to visit. Her leaving, from phone call to driving off down the road, took less than 5 minutes. It was like her back was on fire to get out of here. So.... this'll be the last time I'll have them both here at the same time.

Was a small Thanksgiving meal, and unconventional. We had smoked brisket instead of turkey and dressing. I had made potato salad last night, and green bean casserole this morning. The apple pie was pretty but not as tasty as I had hoped. The apples were, I think, too sweet. Anyway, it's over. We finally got rid of Daddy, too, and now it's just the two of us, the way we really like it best. I opened a bottle of pinot grigio and we're watching a little football, just chillin.

The holidays make me realize how satisfied with my life I already am. The only thing better would be if we could pack up and head to the mountain house.

Onward ....

No comments:

Post a Comment