Monday, September 6, 2010

On the Road -- AGAIN!

We went through the Capulin volcanic region today on our way to Raton where we had reservations at the KOA campground. The Capulin area is eerily beautiful, and you have the feeling the old dead volcanoes could speak to you. They have left remnants of their stories all over the valley and basin that surrounds them, in the form of lava rocks piles. Today a norther was blowing up dust and it hung like mist at the base of the mountains, adding to the surreal feeling of the place. New Mexico has an awful lot of intriguing geography. Not all of it is beautiful, but it's always interesting.

We're headed to Denver once again for my SO's market. He comes up here twice a year, and I know it has to get tiresome making the same trek year after year. I've just been coming with him for three years, and I'm already wishing they could move the show to some other place besides Denver. I've seen enough of Denver, between these markets and my times here with Women Writing the West, and promoting my own books, to last me a lifetime. But I'm not as enchanted with Colorado as a lot of people are, except for the mid-section, which isn't as populated. I tend to gravitate to the more sparsely populated places always.

We have the dog and the cat again, and they're both doing pretty well. The cat is getting to be a better traveler, although he get sort of catatonic in the car. For the first hour or so after we've set up camp, he hides behind the sofa, but then comes out to join the family. And he really loves sleeping in the bed with us.

Bought a new bed for the camper. Sure does sleep better. We've almost got this place decked out like a Cadillac. Cooked supper in it last night, and had everything I needed this time, unlike when we took it out in July. I'm learning. There sure are pluses to dragging your hotel room around with you. Also minuses, but I'll get into that in another post.

Two days without looking at the manuscript. Not good. I must learn to work on the fly.

Onward....

1 comment:

  1. Cindy, I've always thought that drive from Clayton to Raton was so remote it was almost scary. But yes, Capitan is magnificcent in an odd way. If you go the other way out of Amarillo, toward Albuquerque, I love the way the land changes almost as you cross the NM border. Always makes me feel like I'm coming home. Think I lived in Santa Fe in a previous life.

    ReplyDelete