Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Mountains -- Finally

The cat and I had an altercation right away yesterday morning. There's a small space behind the sofa in the RV that he has claimed as his safe spot. He gets back there and won't come out and there's no way to reach in a get him either because of a built-in side table. I tried coaxing him out with canned food, which usually works. Didn't. So I tried pouring his kibble out on the table. For some reason, that usually works, makes his kibble seem different if it's poured out instead of inside the bowl -- strange cat. Anyway, that didn't work either. I gave it lots of time to work, too. Two hours while the SO was off calling on his customers in Artesia. When he got back, the kitty was still in hiding, so I had to resort to brooming him out. There's just enough space to fit a broom. I scooted him down to the end, then grabbed him by his scruff, and hauled him out, but I was sweaty and frustrated by then, and he was traumatized.

The cat does not like RVing. His whole demeanor is different. I keep thinking he will do better once we get settled at the RV Resort Park, which is our destination, in the Sangre de Cristo mountains of NE New Mexico. We will arrive there today and are staying a while. Our friends from home will join us there. We've been keeping in touch via email and cell phone, but will meet up in person today. One quick trip to the grocery store, and we'll head that way.

Had some excitement at this park last evening. Our neighbors, who are young hippie types, had an ambulance parked in front of their travel trailer. All the nosy people around here were out watching the happenings. I walked by on my way to the laundry facilities, but tried not to poke into their business. Still, I wondered what happened. They looked to be no more than 30, so I hope it wasn't something too serious.

As I use the word hippie I sort of cringe because none of these hippies of today are the real thing, at least, I don't think so. I lived through that time and know the difference. Young people now aren't quite as idealistic, even unrealistic, with the peace on earth, love your neighbor thing. It seems to me that we all really believed that could happen. My how disillusioned most of us have become.

Meanwhile, I'm going to enjoy my vacation and try to avoid worrying about the state of the world for a little while.

Onward ....

No comments:

Post a Comment