Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Birthdays, the IRS, and Writing Clearly

Yesterday my oldest son turned 39. It's hard for me to believe I have a child this old, yet when I look at my Daddy, who will turned 86 this year, I FEEL old. Odd to me that it should be that way. Where the hell did the time go? It almost like I was absent for a lot of it. I'm reminded of the George Strait song, "Where've I Been All My Life?" Good question.

When you're young you believe life is endless and you think the next best thing is around the corner, not in the present moment so sometimes you make really poor choices. I made so many poor choices during my young years, choices I've had to try to forgive myself for making. In fact, I've come to realize that it's all about forgiveness really, and forgiving yourself most of all. Not an easy task for a perfectionist. It has caused me no end of trouble. I have to keep reminding myself, even at this age, to live for the moment, because it might never get any better than this. You can live through your finest moments and not even recognize it until way too late.

Dealing with the IRS again today. This 2008 return has been a real headache and I'm anxious to get it off my desk and out of my mind so I can focus on something else. It started last July and has continued, though aborted correspondence and aggravating phone calls, accompanied by bouts of high blood pressure. Finally, after contacting my state senator for help, I have been assigned a case advocate and she's about to get it straightened out. But the whole thing is a big confusion to me, my CPA, and my advocate. I'm tempted to just pay them the amount they say I owe and be done with it. That amount is less than $200 but I've just never had a reasonable explanation about why their figures don't jibe with mine. Ah me ....

Made a mad dash to Austin yesterday to my dentist. The older I get the less I want to make that trip four times a year. I really like those people though, and I've been with them since 1984! Gads! More of that flying time.

I did stop by the Apple Store at Barton Creek Mall and bought Final Draft software. I have all the rights to my books now, and I want to try doing a screenplay for THE PASSION OF DELLIE O'BARR. That's the one I have always wanted another stab at -- the ending primarily. I recall attending a book club discussion where that book was the pick of the month. Out of the 16 or so people who were at the meeting, only about 2 of them understood what I was going for with the ending as it was published. The rest thought something else entirely, which told me plainly that I had not done my job properly. If a writer doesn't get her message across to a majority of her readers then the writing failed to clarify. Clarity is, in my opinion, the ultimate goal, or should be, of any writer. This is probably why I get so frustrated by writers who try to impress with their writing acrobatics. I don't want my readers to have to reread a single sentence, or sit with a dictionary at their elbow. I want my words concise and crystalline in their simplicity.

Well enough already. I think I'm in a mood today. IRS headaches. Old age flashes. Feelings of inadequacy. Blah!

Onward ....


No comments:

Post a Comment