Thursday, April 1, 2010

April Fools

No idea why I used that title. I'm not even sure where "April Fools" even comes from, but it might be something interesting to look up sometime.

I'm joining my SO in Colorado later today. I miss him, but at this moment I'd rather stay home and putter in the garden with the cat. I hate leaving the cat with a sitter after the last time. I just hope he stays well while I'm gone. He's clearly enjoyed having it just the two of us for the last few days. He even did some real exploring outside yesterday morning, walking up the north fence almost to the front forty. When I was done with my little greenhouse project, I called him to come inside with me. He sat in grass up to his chin and stared at me. I imagined him daydreaming about being a lion on the Seregeti or something. Anyway, he didn't come, which he is wont to do when he's happy with his situation.

Later on, I called him in through the sliding door in the bedroom, which faces out the direction of the north fence. He seemed surprised to find that there was a door there, and once he was inside, snooped around the bedroom for a moment as if he were inspecting some new terrain. His usual door is the sliding door that faces to the back yard, so I think I must've thrown him off calling in him through a different door. Odd to think of how limited his world is, and how content he seems to be with those limitations.

I submitted a little piece and a photo to Birds and Blooms magazine yesterday. They don't pay much but if they take it, it will make me feel like a productive writer. I'm finding that most of these specialty magazines really don't pay a lot. I'd have to be incredibly prolific to make even half the equivalent of the advance on my last novel. But I'm just not ready yet to focus on a big project right now.

What has happened to my spelling ability? I used to be a good speller. In school, I was usually one of the last to be eliminated in spelling bees. But sometime in the past ten years that ability has really fallen off. I don't know if it's a reliance on spellchecker or estrogen depletion, but it bothers me. I'm really not happy about growing old, but I don't want to be one of those ridiculous women who fights it tooth and nail. However, I do need to get more active. I dug out the pilates CD and worked out twice this week. Sure made me feel better, and it puts no stress on the damned foot.

It was while I was in the middle of the Tuesday workout that my grandson called. While we were talking, I set him up an email account and we went through how to use it. He even sent me an email while we were on the phone, asking for a new Xbox. I replied that I didn't approve of them, thought he was way to obsessed with video games, and that he would not be getting one of those things from me. He already knew all that, so he just laughed. I hope he will email me regularly, although I'm not taking the laptop on this trip. My SO really hates it when I take it along, plus I'm flying and already have another carry-on, and since I'm not in the middle of a writing project anyway, there's no real need for me to take it. I can hardly scold my grandson for being obsessed when I have my own obsessions. I sent him a parting email last night. Hopefully, there will be a reply waiting for me when I get home.

I have a gazillion things to do this morning. And I'm going to be exhausted by the time I land in Grand Junction, with only two hours of sleep last night. A splitting headache kept waking me. It's from the oak pollen. I know better than to stay out in it as long as I have been this week. When I got in the hot tub last night, I swept a big green pile of it off the spa cover before I opened it. It's the one drawback to living under an oak motte: the pollen and the ocean of fallen leaves.

So I will go off today, and I will try not to worry over the cat and the plants. Daddy's coming to tend the garden, and the sitter is coming to check on the cat this evening. I've got everything covered. And I'll be seeing my DC son this Sunday, so why am I so reluctant to go? I think I've fallen too much in love with this place. Obsessions--

Onward ....

No comments:

Post a Comment