Saturday, April 24, 2010

Already Getting Hot


It's just now April 24th, and it's already beginning to get too hot to work outside in the afternoons. I really hate that. Yesterday, I mowed up around the house, didn't start until about 1 o'clock, and by the time I finished at 2:30, I was dripping with sweat. Same thing today -- went out to spray Roundup, and didn't get out there early enough. Had to change my T-shirt as soon as I came back inside, it was so wet. It's still cool early, but heating up too quickly already. I'm going to be ready to head for the mountains pretty soon if this is how it's going to be this summer. We already have reservations at a campground in New Mexico for a week in July. Can't wait!

My SO has been down in his back all week. Which means I've been doing both of our work. I was worn out last night. His son and daughter-in-law are here for a weekend visit, and to get ready for them, I did the mowing, grocery shopped, cleaned house, did laundry, and cooked a big meal. I was exhausted by the time Jay Leno came on last night. I begged goodnight, and was the first in bed. As I've said before when he's been gone on business trips -- I don't realize how much he does until he's gone or unable. It takes two people to keep this place up, doing something around here every day. I have a feeling that the day may come when we decide to downsize. I know I sure would not want more than this three acres to maintain.

We had a quick break earlier this week when we packed up and headed for the Coast for a couple of nights. We had not been down there in about six weeks, so the yard there was a mess. And once again, SO couldn't do much besides lie in the bed inside with the cat, while the dog and I took care of things outside. At least it's a small yard we have there. But I think I've actually lost about 6 pounds this week, just doing domestic work. Not complaining.

It's always a lot of fun to have company, but it's also exhausting in a way, too. We're cooking out tonight, having Daddy over, which means there will be four dogs to look after, too. Poor kitty will have to stay banished to the upstairs with his gate at the top of the stairs closed and latched. Last night SO's son's schnauzer discovered the cat's hideaway and stuck his nose through the slats. Think the cat surprised him with a big hiss and a swipe. He raced back down the steps as quickly as he'd come up. Same thing happened to Daddy's dog when she went up there once. This cat is not afraid of dogs, not one bit. And he certainly feels he's been trespassed upon when they try to invade his fortress. Besides which, he's the senior animal around here, and he will assert himself whenever he needs to.

Woke up in the middle of the night with the urge to write. Go figure. This happens to me all the time. I swear off the stuff, and then the urges come over me again. I'm now trying to figure out a way to work it all in again. I guess I'm a writer at heart and I just can't change it, no matter how many times I wish I weren't. I just don't seem to be content unless I've got some project in my mind and on my desk.

Onward ....

No comments:

Post a Comment