Thursday, December 31, 2009

Ring Out the Old!


New Year's Eve. End of a decade -- the "aughts." They've been a wild ride for me, probably for most people. Some stark changes, like a divorce after 34 years, a new city, and then another move to this place, learning to date after all that time -- as I said to one of them, "The last time I had a date the Vietnam War was raging" -- then meeting the man who has changed my life so completely -- once again. Meanwhile, 9/11 came and this whole country looked at things differently. We endured the Bush years, and survived them, barely. Health care and medicine began to take a huge chunk of my personal finances, as I eased into my 50s. I had several hospital stays, new prescriptions and ailments, both minor and not so minor. I traveled the world.

A few years ago I made a bucket list and have been able to check off two of them, traveling to the Canadian Maritimes, which I did with my son and his partner two years ago, and escaping to the Caribbean, which I did with my SO this past May. Both were memorable trips. Many other things I still haven't done, or maybe found the courage to do. Still, in the aught decade I managed to see France, England and Wales, all but the mid-section of Canada, Alaska, and the Bahamas. I saw Niagara Falls. This past year alone I journeyed to or through Colorado (three times), Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, Florida, Maryland, and Virginia. The SO says it will be remembered by us as the year where the economy went to pot and we did all that traveling.

As a lifelong journal-keeper, I have on past New Year's chronicled the prices of certain things. It's made for some fascinating entries to look back on and compare. So I will continue that tradition:
Gasoline - $2.55 a gallon
Soft Drinks - $4.35 for a 12-pack carton
State and Local sales tax - 8.75%
Postage - $.42 for a first class stamp
Doctor's visit - $80.00 for a general checkup
Ground Chuck - $2.58 per pound
Eggs - $2.19
Soon I'll compare that list to one of my earlier lists and see how much things have gone up, despite the government's claim that we have had zero inflation in the past 12 months.

The holidays seem to me to have begun at least three months ago, probably because all the stores put things out so early. I went to the Dollar General yesterday to buy some tissue paper to wrap up the Christmas decorations. They had everything moved and on for 50% off. The shelves where the Christmas items had been were filled with -- guess what -- Valentine's Day crap. I realize that retailers are struggling through this economy, but this is getting ridiculous.

I have just about de-Christmased the house, only lack taking down the outside lights which we will tackle tomorrow or the day after. We're celebrating the New Year with friends, old friends of my SO's, new friends of mine. I'm making a quick trip to see my grandson this morning, taking him to lunch and catching up. When we talk on the phone I always feel so out of it -- don't have a clue what he's telling me half the time -- X-Box this and that, as well as all the accoutrement. He said he liked the camera I sent but hadn't taken any pictures with it yet. Maybe I jumped the gun on that one but I do know other 12-year olds who are into photographing the world.

Next week I'm getting back to work. We're both ready to, I think. For the last three days my SO has been on the telephone making appointments to see people in the coming days. And my mind has been wandering back to my children's book, and even further back to the long-languishing novel. I may have to dust it off soon and see what it's about.

And so here's to the last decade, may it never return (don't think that's likely). And here's to the many friends and loved-ones I've lost and to those I'm still blessed to have in my life. And here's to anyone who may be reading this -- Happy New Year! May there be many more, and may happiness prevail.

Onward ....

No comments:

Post a Comment