Friday, December 11, 2009

Holiday Blitz


Feeling a real disconnect from my writing. I'm sure it's probably all the activities surrounding the holidays. I'm trying not to resent it, and one part of me really loves the holidays, although you'd never know it from the things I've posted here. All the pomp and circumstance, decorating the tree, putting up the outside lights, baking goodies, parties and get-togethers -- I'm still looking for a choral performance I'd like to attend. And my son and his partner are arriving on Christmas Eve. Just that makes the holidays worth having. It's been five months since I've seen them, and I miss this son terribly. He's always been my light.

And so today we're going to the SO's mom's house to help her make tamales. Tomorrow I'm making a fruitcake. Sunday we're going to try -- like hell -- to finally get the greenhouse put together. Monday the SO has an early dentist appointment to find out if he can save a tooth he has bothering him, and we'll spend the afternoon finishing up the greenhouse project. The weather is supposed to foul up again after Monday. Tuesday night a Christmas party in the city. Wednesday a doctor's appointment to see about this pain in my left foot. Thursday and Friday, house cleaning for the weekend company. Plus, we're having a Christmas party ourselves for the SO's family on Sunday. His son, daughter-in-law, and granddaughter will be down again. Then four days later, it's Christmas Eve. When could I possibly work in any writing time?

Yesterday we learned that dear dear friends are going to be alone for the holidays. I suggested last night that we invite them over for Christmas Eve. The SO didn't seem receptive to the idea, but I'll work on him a little more. This is his lifelong friend who was in a coma a couple of months ago. I'm crazy about him and his wife, and I understand about lonely Christmases. They stopped in last night. They were over here having dinner at our nearest restaurant, and also doing some shopping. They stayed a couple of hours. My SO was squirming for them to leave after the first hour. He hadn't had any supper and they were hardly down the driveway before he was in the kitchen whipping us up a meal. I love that he takes these matters into his hands, gets what a stove is for, and will cook up something without prompting. He's lived alone much of his life and is quite self-sufficient.

I think my kitty isn't feeling well. He takes it in spurts. Maybe the cold weather has his little old bones aching. All he wants to do lately is lay on my lap, or cuddle up next to me. Not that I mind a cuddling kitty, but I do hate to have to dump him out of my lap to get my next project done. Oh, to just slow down a little. I haven't even tended to all the freeze damaged plants in the yard. We need to have a load of gravel hauled in for the driveway. I've still got packages to wrap and get in the mail. And Christmas cards to send. It's just never ending right now. Then mid-January, it's off to Denver again. I WILL take the laptop this time. I'm beginning to long for some down-time, to get lost in the writing again. It will happen. Soon. I promise myself.

Onward ....

1 comment:

  1. Cindy, my 18-year-old cat went to the vet one day for a checkup and two days later refused to budge out of one chair he'd chosen. I'd pick him up and take him to his food, but he turned his nose into the air and went back to his chair. Worried, I called a friend who's a cat person--she said to consider that it was really really cold (23 that morning) and he'd had a couple of rough days. He's back to normal, bugging me to be fed, wanting to sit on top of me at my desk. Yours will probably be fine.
    No Christmas cards this year, so happy and blessed holidays to you and yours. Sounds like you have a full calendar.

    ReplyDelete