Saturday, October 31, 2009

Montana


Been a while since I posted here. We left on the 23rd for the much-anticipated Montana trip. We had agreed beforehand to leave behind the accoutrement of our everyday lives, like the laptop, and just use the time to be together and groove on Montana. We certainly did do that.

Can there be any more beautiful place in the country? Unless it's the coast of Alaska or the Grand Tetons in Wyoming. Both of those places blew my mind when I visited them, but Montana ranks right up there. Breathtaking sights at every turn. Seemed I spent a good part of every day with the camera in my hand.

I was surprised by how much history there is up there -- western history, the kind that tugs at me, that pioneer history thing that starts stories simmering in my mind. Lots of stories to be told up there, and so different because of the terrain and the weather, than Texas stories. It's somehow even more western than here, more rugged and individualistic. The population, what little there is, seems younger, more genuine in their friendliness. I don't know, I felt that I could live there. I understand more and more the reason my fellow is so in love with the mountains. He has had his three years of living there and I think he wants more. But we both love Texas, too, so what do you do?

Hit the lottery?!! Or write something shamelessly commercial? Something aimed at the people who just can't seem to get enough of vicarious adventure, the same people who spend hours tuned into reality shows, something sordid and purposely controversial. Hmmmmm. Don't think I'm that kind of writer, unfortunately. My finger is definitely not on the pulse of popular American culture. I didn't even like "Titantic" for god's sake. Oh well .....

We did go to the Book and Author Luncheon the day before we left on our Montana trip. It was more fun than I thought it would be. The SO had an absolute ball. He went around glad-handing the featured authors, buying their books, and discussing mystery writers he likes with them. I'm so happy he enjoys these sorts of outings. I think he might even like them more than I do. Later, after we were home, the friend who had invited us to share his table commented that the SO and I just seem to fit seamlessly together. It pleases me to hear because I certainly agree.

The trip to Montana, on top of being an investigative vacation, wanting to find a place to retire someday, or to have a summer place to retreat from the brutal Texas heat, was also a celebration of sorts, or a commemoration. While we were up there, our two-year milestone came, a remembrance of the first time we met for dinner at Olive Garden. We didn't find an Olive Garden to mark the day, but a pretty good substitute presented itself in Butte. My SO asked the hotel clerk if there were any country-style Italian restaurants in town and got a recommendation. It turned out to beat Olive Garden by a mile, and we drank a toast to ourselves and our future.

Onward ....

No comments:

Post a Comment