Tuesday, November 3, 2009

The Lunch Bunch

The lunch bunch has been arriving every morning just after daybreak. So far we've counted nine does. There are a couple of bucks lurking, too, one slick spike and one mature male with a nice set of antlers. With the binoculars I counted 10 points on his rack. We have noticed pickup trucks out on the road slowing down or stopping whenever he shows himself. The SO says he probably won't last long.

It's opening weekend of whitetail season this Saturday, and all the local hunters have itchy fingers. Personally, I don't see how anyone could shoot such a beautiful creature, but I've been around it so much that I suppose I'm sort of immune. I will go with my SO to his lease this weekend. I went with him quite a bit last year, but all we did was take binoculars to the stand. We also took books, and read in tandem, with one or the other of us keeping half an eye out for deer to come out into the oat field so we could view them through the binoculars. I got tickled thinking of us both deep into our books, and the deer coming out to dance while we weren't looking, maybe sticking out their tongues and laughing at us. A nice thought anyway.

Started editing the children's book today. Now, I'm second-guessing myself, wondering if I should do away with the Christmas theme. That would certainly change the whole thing if I do. But I don't want to limit the appeal. Just don't know. I always read Christmas books to my kids year round. They loved Christmas and wanted to hear about it even in summer. Just so uncertain working in this new format. Oh these doubts, they always haunt me.

Onward ....


No comments:

Post a Comment