Thursday, January 19, 2012

Home Again & Back To Work

So we have been in Denver for a week, at my SO's semi-annual market/convention. This was my eighth time to go with him and what happens is you get into the merchandising mindset, sort of caught up in the hoopla that goes on at these things. And having been an outside salesman myself years ago, I'm familiar with all that goes into these markets, how you have to psyche yourself up for them, and how gung-ho you get while you're there. So, in the spirit of the moment, I signed myself up to sell a line of ladies embellished tops for a company, thinking it would or could be some "gravy money," as my son said when I told him. I  might be needing a little of that, who doesn't, in the upcoming years. So, samples are supposed to arrive in the next few days, and then I guess I will be seeing which stores I can sell these things to -- who knows. It might be fun. Might help pay for the new office I would like to build outside the back door someday.

In the meantime, though, I am committed to getting myself back in the writing frame of mind, setting aside a certain time each day to sit at my desk, as I am right now, and putting some words on the screen. I used to say "words on paper" but those days are waning fast. Re-reading THE PASSION OF DELLIE O'BARR for Kindle conversion has given me the itch to get back to working on that screenplay I started last summer, before all the tragedy and interruptions came along to waylay the whole household.

While we were in Denver, I visited one of the Apple Store there, looking into getting a new laptop, finding out what is compatible with this old one and what is not. I have decided to wait until this one just absolutely conks out before spending all that money. This one still serves most of my purposes and the biggest trouble with it seems to be the slow internet connection I have in the mountains, not the computer itself. Inside the Denver hotel, with their "for-real" high-speed internet, this old laptop worked like a youngster instead of it's true 6-year old self. I like the Appleworks word processing program and don't want to have to learn WORD or PAGES or any of the other newer stuff. So me and Bessie will soldier on together. (Hey, I just gave my laptop her name!)

And speaking of writing time -- don't want to spend it all writing this blog.

Onward ....

No comments:

Post a Comment