Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Back in Paradise


So much has happened, or seems to have happened, since the last time I posted here. We did list the house in Texas, and before we left, it had already been shown three times. Since then, its been shown several more times, and our real estate agent believes an offer is just around the corner. I have such mixed feelings but know that it’s the right thing to do financially. I will miss my great big house, with all its storage and that huge kitchen, gee! I will probably never have such a nice place again.

But then we arrived here, in the mountains, on Sunday and my mood, my sense of purpose, just completely changed. I stepped out of the car at the post office in the valley, just to see if we had any mail while we were gone. The fresh, light air hit me, wrapped me in good feeling. A little breeze was billowing. Everything has greened up since we were here, a big change in just a little over two weeks. It seems like where I belong.

The cat and the dog both got lively in the car as we headed across the valley and up the mountain. When we turned down our little tree-lined lane, the cat was bobbing his head, trying to see around the dog, who was galloping about the car. I rolled the windows down so they could both feel the cool air, too. By the time we pulled into our driveway, all three of us were excited. 

The dog bounded out, remembering her squirrels, and immediately began to hunt for them. The cat was meowing as I carried him in his taxi up to the backdoor. As soon as I let him out, he went in search of his water bowl and his litter box. I had to hustle to get things arranged for him and then he went to the front door, wanting out on his deck. It did me good to see him so animated. He’s been declining so steadily since the beginning of the month. I believe he is happier here where he is able to go outside for long periods of time.

I feel so much more relaxed here, so much more myself. Away from the distractions and disasters. Our friends here began to welcome us back “home” as they walked by with their dogs or were just out walking. It doesn’t quite feel like home yet, but I think it will come to more as we are able to bring our things from Texas and surround ourselves with them. 

We went to a town hall meeting in the community center last night. The presentation was on fire evacuation. There are so many things to learn about living in the mountains. Afterwards, we walked over to the lodge restaurant and sat with friends out on the patio, had a Blue Moon, then dinner, visited. We like everybody here, and there’s no pressure attached. If we want to socialize, the opportunity is there. If we don’t want to, or are not in the mood to, then there’s no judgment either. We’ve got tickets for a concert on the 26th, with a larger group, for dinner and then to the city and the university auditorium for the concert -- “Music From Anglefire.” We talked about it last night and all seem eager for the day to arrive.

Speaking of arrivals -- my aunt is here. She’s borrowing a cabin from a friend of hers in the next county, and will join up with us after today. My SO has business in Albuquerque and I’m going with him. We want to look at hot tubs after his appointment and learn how they fare through the winters here. My aunt is definitely coming to stay with us this weekend. The big annual picnic is Saturday and I’ve invited her to come. She sounded excited. It would be great if we could talk her into buying a place over here -- she loves it so much in New Mexico, once owned a cabin in the area where she’s staying now. There’s a very reasonable cabin for sale just up the mountain from us. I doubt it will happen but I intend to tell her about it anyhow.

I will try to find more time now that we’re back here and settled in, to blog. I have things I’ve been thinking about and would like to write about them, so I shall be back soon.

Onward ....

No comments:

Post a Comment