Friday, June 17, 2011

Before We Move; the Mountains Again

And so, before we make a big move, it's probably a good idea to spend more time up here in the mountains. If for no other reason, than to experience the changing weather.

We got here on Tuesday, which happened to be my birthday. The paint job in the front room was a pleasant surprise. It really does brightened things. I don't feel like I'm in such a cave anymore. A handy man came yesterday and spent the entire day, doing odd jobs. He hung the new chandelier and it completely changed the way the dining area looks. I'm getting happier with the interior by the minute. I like the curtains I made, too, although I don't think my SO does much. They cost me about $7 and my labor, about an hour and a half at the sewing machine. We hung the new blind in the laundry room. It's a cerulean color, a cellular blind but one that opens so it's possible to still look outside but should keep that room warmer in winter. It cost more than $400 but I won't go into that.

It's hot here. I'm not happy about that. The big front room is especially hot. We're having the handy man back next week to install some ceiling fans. I can't sleep when I'm hot and I'm kind of wary of leaving windows open at night since it's bear season. We don't have any a/c. Nobody up here does. Right now, we need it during the day. It got up to 88 yesterday afternoon. I don't like to sweat. In fact, it's hard to sweat with only 5% humidity. But it's still better than being back in Texas where heat indices yesterday were between 107 and 109 degrees. If it would only rain a little I think it would cool things off. Everywhere, really.

We came in two cars. I wasn't wild about that, but we had too much to haul and I wanted my car here to pick up my son and his partner from the Albuquerque airport in two weeks. Plus, my SO will be working next week, and the vehicle we've left here has no working a/c. I, at least, want to be cool in the car. I brought the cat with me. I think the trip was hard on him. His kidneys are functioning poorly and he wet the carrier several times, which is not like him at all. But I anticipated this and put piddle pads under him and carried extras. He did finally start drinking water in his carrier while we were on the road. That's a first. He's doing as well as can be expected. I'm happy to have him with us. And we have our little kitty hospice setup in the living room here just as we had back in Texas.

Two days before we left the dog was bit again by a large copperhead. It happened late on Saturday, and this time she was very sick. During the night she began to go into shock, and I had to cover her with a blanket and lie in the floor with her until her shaking stopped. It was scary and upsetting for both of us, and I vow the next time to take her to a vet no matter what time of day it happens. Fingers crossed that there will be no next time.

So, here we are again. I will try to do better with this blog.

Onward ....

No comments:

Post a Comment