Monday, August 9, 2010

Temporarily Dissatisfied-- Oh, It's This Heat!

Just ended another hot, hot weekend down at the Coast. It's become drudgery for me to even go down there. I don't know if it was those two weeks in the mountains or what, but suddenly I'm just longing for a cooler place to live in the summer. We've had such fun down at the Coast before -- what has caused all this dissatisfaction? It's not just me who is feeling this either. My SO is also longing for a mountain place, although I think we have different ideas about what we want there. His standards are lower than mine are at the moment, and I really do believe I need to lower mine as well. It's always been hard for me to settle for less.

And yet, I still really love our place here. It was such a relief to come home as it always is. Both animals also love it so much here. They were both visibly delighted when we walked in the door. I'm tempted to initiate conversation with my SO about selling the Coast place but I don't know what the reception to that will be. It was his before he met me, and I know he put a lot of time and effort into making it into what it is, but he also doesn't seem to get as much joy from it as before. It's been a year now since he had the boat out of the storage building.

However, that said, I wonder if this dissatisfaction we're both feeling isn't a temporary state, caused by heat stress, or whatever. Or wanderlust, maybe. We both have that. Once the temperatures come back to bearable, won't we just be happy here again and forget about going into debt on a new place? We have enough trouble trying to maintain this place and the Coast place as it is. Why add another "place" into the mix? Our so-called troubles could be so much worse. We have great life. Especially when you compare to things other people are dealing with.

Our good friends, the ones who joined us for the trip to New Mexico, have real trials, life-altering ones, that they're dealing with, and I have to always keep in mind how much worse things could be, and also how quickly basic situations can change. His health is deteriorating rapidly. I talked to her on the phone over the weekend, and the reason we haven't heard from them in a while is because he sank into such a deep depression she got worried and took him to the hospital. Apparently, he was feeling suicidal. They did some brain mapping, the results of which won't be in until tomorrow, and tweaked his anti-depressant meds little. She felt like he was doing better, but the stress she's under is taking its toll. I could hear it in her voice, and later that was confirmed by a mutual friend who ran into her at Subway, and reported that she looked frazzled and out of sorts. We're all worried about them, and have to keep their situation always in mind when we become dissatisfied with our own lives.

We're going to see my son and his partner this coming weekend. It's sneaked up on me a little too quickly. I have so many things to do before we leave, or before I can start getting excited. As always, I would be much more excited if we didn't have to FLY to get there. Just hate dealing with airlines nowadays. Hard to believe there was a time when I actually loved to fly, found it exciting and sophisticated. Simpler times, those.

Have to go with Daddy to the doctor this morning, and guess I should get my morning started.

Onward ....

1 comment:

  1. Cindy, don't give up on the Coast. It won't always be this hot, ad then you'll enjoy it again. Cool (?) front coming this weekend so I hear.
    I don't see you saying much about writing these days. Should I be your conscience?
    Enjoy your visit with Stuart.










































































































    Cindy, don't give up on the coast. This won't last forever, and then you'll be glad to be there. Cool (?) front coming late this weekend, so I hear. Hang in there.
    I don't see you say much about writing these days. Should I be your conscience?
    Enjoy your vist with Stuart.

    ReplyDelete