Sunday, May 9, 2010

Wilson's Warbler, Mother's Day

Added a new bird to my life-list: Wilson's Warbler. We were down at the Coast when the bird appeared in the live oak just off the deck. I had my binoculars handy and was able to see the identifier clearly enough to decide I had a late spring warbler passing through. It's always a kick to spot something new. I just love birds, and there are so many down there. We have our share at the house, too, but the Coast offers so many more unusual birds. At the Conference on World Affairs in Boulder, I met a renown birder who told me that I lived in Bird Heaven so near the Texas Coast. He said birders from all over the world come to South Texas on birding trips. I already sort of knew that, but it was interesting to hear it come from someone who isn't from here.

We got home yesterday morning. I had promised the county Democratic chair that I would help her with a senate district meeting that was to be held here. I like her, she's my old mentor. It was under her that I accepted my first job as a precinct chair. When I moved back to this county I told her I wanted to limit my involvement for a while. I'm not ready to reverse that decision, but it was fun to see some of my old buddies from the 19 counties that make up this senate district. I made a contribution to a candidate running for the state senate seat. She'll never win, but I liked things she said, and will vote for her. I wish this state wasn't so conservative and predictable. I wish we could get rid of our governor. He used to be a good guy but has become so partisan, it's cheapened him. Everyone thinks he plans a run for the White House.

The woman who owns the building where the meeting was held had actually read all my books. She told me it was a great honor to meet me and wanted to know if I would be interested in doing a book signing in the future. I said sure, but it is kind of odd for her to want me to do that when all my books are out of print. Later I learned she's expanding her art gallery to include books and indeed, she wants to get more into book sales. We had a lively discussion during one of the breaks. She wondered if I would be inclined to teach a writer's workshop in her upstairs meeting rooms. I told her I had done that quite a bit several years ago at Our Lady of the Lake in San Antonio and at Gemini Ink. I won't do it for free. Workshops take a lot of preparation, and time, thought. I still have my class prep notes, lectures etc. I think I've gotten really lazy -- no, I KNOW that I have, because the thought of having to do this sort of thing doesn't appeal to me in the least anymore. However, I do need to make some writing money. I have made zero so far this years. We'll see if anything develops.

Meanwhile, it's Mother's Day. We're taking SO's mom out to dinner. I got two dozen roses from my son in DC. Wonder if my other son will make contact. Doubt it, but I can always hope. And I'm sure I'll be thinking of my own mom. Fifteen years since she died. Sometimes it seems longer.

Onward ....

No comments:

Post a Comment