Saturday, May 1, 2010

May Day - Derby Day

Gosh -- May already! We are just home from the Coast. Stopped on the drive home and bought four pounds of large shrimp, which the SO is in the kitchen as I write this getting them ready for the boiling pot. We dropped the animals off at the house and went immediately to the store for the boiling spices, new whole potatoes. We already had the corn on the cob. We've decided to forego the sausage. Can't wait. He knows how to do this very well.

There was smoke from Mexico in the air the whole time we were down there, so we didn't spend as much time outside as usual. I went to have a pedicure and the girl talked me into getting a manicure while I was there. It's been years and years since I've had my fingernails done and I'm already regretting it, since I find myself being careful doing things I love to do that involve my hands. I've never been able to keep a pair of gardening gloves on, but I forced myself to wear them yesterday, after paying so much for these fancy nails. I'm sure they won't last a week. Can't use the computer keyboard as well as normal, and the guitar will be out altogether since my left hand needs short nails to fret properly. It was the Decoration Day thing tomorrow that prompted me to do any of it, since I'll be meeting some extended members of the SO's family and want to look my best. Ha ha! I've never been good at being a girly girl.

The fences around the flowerbeds seems to have worked to keep the armadillo out -- at least so far. But everything is dry and we need rain. There's a slight chance tonight, but super slight so I'm going to go out later and set up the soaker hoses in the tomatoes, peppers, and squash. Back to our regular life. It's always fun to go down to the coast and socialize with friends, have drinks and dinner out and about, but I'm always ready to get back to my normal life after three days. The good news is the cat has really adjusted to going along with us. The bad news is, the dog resents not being the ONLY pet and pouted for a good part of the time we were there.

I'm blogging and watching with one eye the Kentucky Derby. I've had the Derby on my 'bucket list" for several years, since I did a book event there several years ago. It was a Monday on Derby Week. My publisher couldn't find me a hotel, so I stayed in a B&B, which turned out quite nice. Although the owner was a clock collector and there was a cacophony on the hour, every hour. But the breakfast the next morning made up for the poor night of sleep. The most succulent banana bread I've ever put in my mouth, English tea, fruit, gorgeous flowers ... but I digress.

Louisville was all a-clatter with Derby fever. I had a car rental and drove around town. There were all sorts of races going on that week, from paddlewheeler races up the river, to foot races through downtown, hot-air balloon races. It seemed like such fun and was easy to catch the fever while I was there. I decided then and there to some day attend the horse race known as the Kentucky Derby. That was probably mid-1990s. Well, things have changed.

As we watch this telecast today the Derby has turned into a style show a la the Oscar's Red Carpet, and doesn't have much to do with the race itself anymore. They have been interviewing celebrities, asking who is their hat "stylist," who did their hair, and on and on. We have visited "millionaire's row" over and over. So, I have decided that I will take the Derby off my list. This kind of snobbery, hobnobbing with the wealthy, putting on the dog, and shallowness is a major turn-off for me. So "X" The Derby. I'll be looking for a replacement soon.

But I am still interested in the horses, in their stories, and in the race, which is about to start. So I'm closing for today.

Onward ....

No comments:

Post a Comment