Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Long Drive but Mountains Are Worth It

Here in New Mexico, at the cabin-- it’s very nice to be here. I really can’t believe that I was actually contemplating not coming -- last Wednesday, the day before I was set to leave. The thought of the long long drive, and having to manage BOTH the animals along the way, just had me thinking maybe I just should not come here at all. Boy, am I glad I didn’t give in to that compulsion. 

Got here on Friday. I beat the SO by about two hours, which gave me a chance to unwind from the road. I listened to a book --  SECRETS OF A SHOE ADDICT. It was funny, kept me entertained for most of the trip -- but I was still road-weary. I knew my SO was, too. He had been traveling for the last five days. We went over to the restaurant down the street. While we were there, we were invited to a St. Patrick’s dinner on Saturday night. My SO  wanted to go, which still always amazes me. I’m not used to a man who doesn’t mind socializing. We went. It was kind of fun, at least we met some of our neighbors. I got invited to a tea social on Monday. I wasn’t sure I wanted to go, but my SO encouraged it. I went. 

Why is it that I always seem to get paired up with the most socially conservative, right-wing minded people. A remark was made about “gays.” I kept quiet but gave off some pretty intense looks. I know this because the hostess backed off of the antigay remark she had made. I should have just come out and said I have a gay son, but for some reason I’m always confrontational-adverse. Anyway, from then on the topic was kept to neutral subjects. 

My SO left on Monday headed for Arizona, and hopefully, lots of new business for him. He’s just  been given Arizona. It’s one of the reasons we bought this place. Sitting here in northeastern New Mexico, we are at ground zero for his territory -- New Mexico, West Texas, Colorado, and Arizona. I’m already lonesome for him, after just three days. And I have one and a half more to go. Sigh!

Over the weekend, we put out two bird feeders. Today, the birds finally found them. I identified a Stellar’s Jay, a Wooly Woodpecker, and a White-Breasted Nuthatch at the feeders today. We also have a pair of Mountain Bluebirds nesting in the box high up one of the ponderosa pines just off the driveway. They are very busy but ignore the feeders. They are insect and worm eaters. It will be fun to watch them this spring.

I wish we could come here and stay for several months at a time. I have so many things I want to do to this place, but no time for it when we come for such a short time. I do really love it here. It would be nice to come and stay for a longer time. We’ve got one more week, and then it’s back to the REAL WORLD.

Onward .....

No comments:

Post a Comment