Thursday, October 14, 2010

Riding the Roller Coaster

Every day there is a new battle, a new goal achieved, and then another set-back with this house deal in New Mexico. I have decided that it's the banking industry that is causing the slow recovery to the economy right now. And it was the banking industry that caused the recession in the first place, giving their liar loans and predatory lending practices. I have a very high credit score, almost no debt, a good salary, and a history with this mortgage company, and still they require me to jump through so many hoops it's beginning to seem like it's just not worth it anymore.

This morning I received an email from my loan officer telling me that the underwriters are requiring more tax information, a termite inspection, an addendum to the original contract exempting the personal property items that come with the house (i.e. furnishings). I've already had to go too many rounds with the seller over various repairs and price negotiation. Now the appraisal comes back valuing the house for more than I'm paying, and I just don't know how many more hoops the seller will be willing to jump through either. It's to the point where the only people who can really buy a house right now are the ones who can pay cash, and how many of those people are out there, after the stock market tanked, after the devaluation of real estate, after everything?

They advertise these low low interest rates, and then you find out that they're only that low IF you are putting up a huge down payment, like half, and financing for just 10 years, or less. So I have decided that the banks are the culprits in this economy that is NOT recovering, and since big banking equals big business. And Big Business equals the Republican Party, I think it could be a conspiracy to keep the economy bad at least through this election cycle, but maybe even beyond this one to the next one, when they can get another one of their cronies into office. I've never been a conspiracy theorist, but I'm starting to become one.

And so the roller coaster continues. Yesterday my SO got a sort of promotion. Today more hoops arrive. Or loopy-de-loops to keep with the roller coaster theme. Now, I guess I have to decide if I want to keep jumping. I will say this, I'm certainly glad I don't have a house for sale right now. Trying to buy one is hard enough.

Onward ....

No comments:

Post a Comment